Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Great Loss




Steven Ray Sorensen
1949 ~ 2009

Dane's father passed away on Friday, May 29th. He was in the ICU at the Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto, CA where we were able to be with him during his last few days. As much as we miss him, we are at peace knowing that he no longer suffers from physical ailments. He was a great father and I know this because he instilled in my husband so many qualities that make him a great father and husband. I will forever be grateful to him for that. Steve was a genuinely good person who cared and always took the time to ask about my family to find out how they were doing. I will miss him greatly and feel comfort knowing that we can be together again as an eternal family. It was so moving to witness the bonds of the Sorensen family throughout this difficult time and I feel blessed to be a part of such an amazing legacy that Steve has left behind.

Obituary from The Daily Herald:
Steven Ray Sorensen was born Oct. 18, 1949, in Mesa, AZ, to Bert and Raeola Sorensen. His early years were spent at the P.Z. Ranch near Winkelman, AZ. By age five, his family had located to Phoenix, AZ; and at age 14 to Winslow, AZ, where Steve graduated from Winslow High School in 1967. Steve began college at Northern Arizona University on a music scholarship. He interrupted his education to serve as an LDS missionary in the Kentucky/Tennessee mission. After his mission, he continued his education at Ricks College in Rexburg, ID, and later at Brigham Young University in Provo, UT, where he earned a B.S. in history and a M.S. in library science.

Steve's greatest loves were his family, LDS church history and fishing a dry fly. In 1974, Steve married Mareen Peterson in the LDS temple in Provo. In 1980, he began a distinguished career as an archivist for the church, serving many years as the Director of Church Archives a stimulating job that took him to many areas of the world. Steve's significant contributions to the preservation of the church's history were acknowledged by many, including the Mormon History Association, which awarded him its highest distinction in 2006. At the time of his death, he was an editor of the Joseph Smith Papers.

Steve's earthly life ended May 29, 2009, at the Stanford University Medical Center in Palo Alto, CA, where he had been a lung-transplant recipient following a long battle with pulmonary fibrosis. He slipped quietly away surrounded by his wife and seven children.

Steve is survived by his wife Mareen; seven children Dane (Cassandra), Kirsten (Jason) Carson, Andrew (Merilee), Ernest (Melanie), Jon, Annikka (Jason) Fluckiger, Curtis (Emily); eleven grandchildren; five siblings Douglas, Susan Bryson, Andrea Rhoton, Gwen Higginson, Jean Zufelt; and his parents.

Steve's family wishes to thank the doctors and nurses at the Stanford University Medical Center, including the Heart and Lung Transplant team, as well as Dr. Tracy Hill in Provo, UT, who worked tirelessly to allow Steve to spend more precious time with his family and loved ones.

3 comments:

Lindsay Adams said...

Sounds like Dane had a great Dad. I'm sure he'll be missed.

Jeanette said...

Oh my goodness, I had no idea. I'm sad for you guys. I'm so sorry. How's Dane holding up? You guys are in our prayers. I'm glad you guys were able to be there at least. I can't imagine how hard that must be for Dane, even with the gospel. I'm sure he'll be deeply missed. Sounds like he was an amazing Father. I'm sorry to hear the sad news.

Kaycie said...

I know i'm kind of late! But, i'm really sorry about what happened!! It sounds like he was a great man!