I never in a million years thought I would run a business, but here I am, trying to make this small biz thing happen. Dane says I need to stop calling it a business and call it what it really is, a hobby. He says if I’m not making any money, it’s not a business. But lots of businesses start out not making money and just breaking even. Really it’s the time I’m putting into it that is the most costly part of it all.
So let me backtrack…when we lived in Merida I loved going to the markets and shopping for all the fiber and textile arts. I could see the beauty in the work and appreciate the time that went into some pieces. I started taking a loom weaving class and knew I wanted to do something more with it. I only got good enough at weaving to make pieces for myself, I would never sell them.
But I was able to connect with some women artisans who are in a cooperative. They learn from each other, work together and have a “director” who helps them find buyers for their work, all while promoting fair trade. I purchased some items from them, earrings and bag tassels, and fell in love with their work. The quality was better than I had seen in most local markets, and I decided I wanted to promote and share their work with others. I placed a large order right before we moved back to the states and knew that once we got settled in AZ, I would open an Etsy shop.
I started with an Instagram page posting that my shop would be opening soon and sharing pictures of some items that would be offered. I shared it with friends and family first and then it just organically grew. I opened my Etsy shop in February of this year and it has been so much fun!
I love being a part of the small business community and having the support of other women who are makers, business owners and mostly moms like me. It is a “hobby” that brings me so much joy- I love supporting the women artisans in Mexico, sharing their work, and having this social connection with other like-minded women throughout the world. It can be stressful at times, and I don’t know where it will go, if it will even grow beyond where it is now, but I am learning new things all the time. I've even started designing some pieces myself, and it's always so fun to see the artisans bring those designs to life. Whether it takes off or not, it makes me happy and that’s what matters.
Check it out if you're interested in unique, artisan-made accessories!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TasselAmor


No comments:
Post a Comment