Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Girls Trip May 2012

Three summers ago my brother & sister in law moved to Washington D.C. for him to attend dental school.  Before they moved, I told Melanie I would come out to visit them and we decided it would be fun to travel from DC to New York City to see Wicked on Broadway.  As time passed, we tried to make it a Sorensen girls trip but knew that with so many women and different schedules, it would be almost impossible to get us all together.  In the end, it was how it began, just the 2 of us but we had so much fun!  We kept saying how we wished our mother in law and other sisters in law could've joined us but we are hoping that someday down the road we can get all the women together. 

I flew into DC and spent a couple days with their family, did some sightseeing and then we were off to NYC for 3 days.  We rode this cool double decker bus for about 4 hours and pulled in just in time to check in early to our hotel and grab a NYC slice of pizza.  Our hotel was close to Times Square so that's the first place we went to.  It was just so fun to walk around and see/feel all the energy that such a big city offers.  The buildings, the people, the smells, the history, the arts,  all the different cultures, it was all awesome (well, maybe not all the smells were).  The highlight of the trip was getting to see Wicked on Broadway.  I've seen it twice already but c'mon, this is Broadway, and it was of course, the best one yet.  Mel hadn't seen it so I was nervous she wouldn't enjoy it but she totally did and I'm so glad I got to see it with her.  One of the other top memories was shopping on Canal Street.  I can't remember laughing so hard after being guided into a store by our very own purse hooker.  It was awesome!  Mel, remember the cannoli?  Another great memory!  We really had an amazing time and I cannot wait to go back to NYC someday.  Maybe I can talk Dane into it, even though he hates big cities.  When I was telling him about the huge rats I saw and how one time it did smell like pee in the subway station, he just couldn't understand why I would want to go back there.  You just have to see it all for yourself, and smell-haha!  Thanks Mel (& Ernie, of course), for the great memories.  Until next time...maybe that cruise we were talking about?


DC-US Archives
Saw the Constitution and Declaration of Independence among other things in there-really neat.

The White House
Wish I would've gotten some better pics here and it would've been cool to do the tour but we didn't plan far enough in advance.

 Washington Monument

 NYC-Times Square
The weather was perfect for all the walking we did-miles and miles...

 Central Park
Just beautiful-more miles and miles walked and we didn't even see a tenth of it.
We were trying to figure out where Blair Waldorf lives :)

 Central Park
We just thought this was a funny picture.

 This is where the Manhattan LDS temple is!  Right smack dab in the city
nestled in between some other buildings.

 Discovered I like sauerkraut on my dogs here.  Another delicious and cheap meal!

 Got up early to check out the Today show. 
Didn't get on camera but we did see Al Roker and Ann Curry. Also met some really nice people.

 Radio City Music Hall

 View from the ferry heading to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island


 Statue of Liberty
Mel told me ahead of time she thought it would be bigger when she first saw it so I wasn't disappointed with the size (that's what she said).

 Ellis Island

 9/11 Memorial
We didn't go into the memorial because the line was crazy long but it was enough just to be there.

 Gershwin Theatre-Wicked
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

 Broadway
People watching while waiting for show to start-always fun.

 Really cute picture Mel!



 Empire State Building
I didn't have enough time to go up but still cool.

 DC-Arlington National Cemetary
Nice Mother's Day activity-calm and peaceful

Arlington-Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Neat to watch the changing of the guard here.

 WWII Memorial

 Lincoln Memorial

 Korean War Memorial

 Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial



 Thomas Jefferson Memorial


Holocaust Museum
Ernie & Mel kept saying it was one I should go to and they were right.  There were some pictures that were hard to see and artifacts and information that brought tears to my eyes, but I was glad I went.  I feel better informed and it made me grateful for my freedoms and rights.




1 comment:

Lindsay Adams said...

What a cool trip! Very jealous. Keep blogging!!!